26/10/2011

Grounding


I never knew grounding had such a profound effect on automatic gear cars. It started when I began experimenting on grounding, a subject I knew little of and hooked a 6 gauge wire from the (-) battery to the engine and immediately saw my headlights shone from mediocre yellowish-white to bright whitish-white, this even when my car was 6 months old. A senior KIA mechanic told me the auto gear is highly dependent on electricity so grounding re-distributes the electrical power more appropriate to all the electrical components making gearing run more efficiently and the output is a smoother ride. Against the advice of my electro-mechanical mechanic who said my car need not any additional grounding since at that time was still new, I still went along with this project. The 11 points grounding points were:
  1. Firewall
  2. ECU
  3. Gearbox
  4. Engine top
  5. Extractor
  6. Chassis
  7. Throttle
  8. Alternator
  9. Air-con compressor
  10. Power steering compressor
  11. ABS
A copper bar was obtained, twice bent to create height above the battery then drilled and later screwed at the (-) terminal. A string was used to measure the separate length of grounding cables to be attached at specific points. The cable was purchased and cut accordingly but I left installation to my mechanic since I didn't have the appropriate tools for the job. The outcome: I cannot believe the improvement in the smoothness of the engine, the car feels as it has been revitalized with some multi-vitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment